Home Breaking News Boko Haram suspects on trial in Nigeria’s Kainji town Breaking News Boko Haram suspects on trial in Nigeria’s Kainji town By Admin - October 10, 2017 19 0 Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter Image Of ABOKO HARAMImage caption Boko Haram is fighting to create an Islamic state in the region The first in a series of trials of more than 6,600 people, accused of being members of militant Islamist group Boko Haram, has opened in Nigeria. The trials are being held in secret by civilian court judges at a military facility in north-central Kainji town. Rights activists say they are concerned about the lack of transparency in what have been described as the biggest terrorism trial in Nigeria’s history. Some 20,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram’s eight-year insurgency. Only nine people have been convicted so far of being involved in the unrest. Four judges have started the trials at the military center in Kainji. Up to 1,670 people will be tried in the coming weeks with a further 5,000 people after that, our reporter says. More than 1,600 suspects are being held at the center, where many have spent years. In a report in 2015, Amnesty International said that the military had arbitrarily detained about 20,000 people as part of its campaign to end the insurgency. One man who was held by security forces for nearly three years before being released without charge. A lengthy process? The trials are likely to last for months, or even years, because of the huge number of suspects who will be tried individually, Justice Minister Abubakar Malami said. Boko Haram at a glance Founded in 2002 Known locally as Boko Haram, meaning “Western education if forbidden” Launched military operations in 2009 to create Islamic state Designated a terrorist group by US in 2013 Declared a caliphate in areas it controlled in 2014 Most territory now recaptured by army Barrister Alhassan Muhammad, who represented suspects in Nigeria’s first trial of Boko Haram militants beginning in 2009, says these trials could be very slow starting with the simple fact that each and every defendant’s name must be read out as the court session opens. Islamist militants who surrender voluntarily are to be offered amnesty by Nigeria’s government, which is also running a deradicalization programme for those deemed eligible. Justice Minister Malami says this will programme will apply to Boko Haram members who are found not to be criminally liable. Boko Haram no longer controls any territory but their presence is still felt in northern Nigeria. One federal judge, John Tsoho, is reported by local media to have withdrawn himself from a recent trial of Boko Haram suspects because the defendants questioned his integrity. No related posts. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Breaking News Breaking: Several dead in plane crash off I.Coast Breaking News Two opposition protesters shot dead in Kenya Breaking News Pres. Buhari requests Senate’s confirmation of Aisha as CBN Deputy Governor Breaking News FG to sell DisCos to new investors- Mohammed Breaking News I don’t know Nnamdi Kanu’s whereabouts – Gov. Ikpeazu Breaking News Buhari appoints new DG for law school LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply Please enter your comment! Please enter your name here You have entered an incorrect email address! Please enter your email address here - Advertisement -APLICATIONS Applications The 5 New Watch Trends To Try Now Admin - November 2, 2017 0 Happy Sunday from Software Expand! In this week's edition of Feedback Loop, we talk about the future of Windows Phone, whether it makes sense... Terrorists kill six soldiers in Sinai attack October 13, 2017 50 Tips and Insights About Productivity, Happiness, and Life November 2, 2017 Baru/Kachikwu: Rep calls for investigative c’ttee October 11, 2017 HOT NEWS Applications The 5 New Watch Trends To Try Now Politics AUDIO: The Reason I Hate Working With Buhari – Tijanni Zangon... Politics Miyetti Allah Is A Privileged Terrorist Organization, Rights Activist Slams Buhari... Breaking News Shock as 21,780 Kaduna teachers fail primary four exam.